Financial assistance programs are a saving grace for many looking to grow through higher education. Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) offers an Education Assistance Program that is open for applications from November 1, 2023 to March 1, 2024. Semifinalists will be notified in the spring if any further documentation is needed. Finalists are notified in early summer, and disbursements are sent out in August and December. The award is a $6,500 interest-free loan and a $500 grant. Students are only notified if they are selected; they will not be notified if they are not selected. The loans are renewable up to five years for full-time undergraduate studies.
To date, 17,000 students have received financial assistance totaling $160 million from MOAA.
General Eligibility Requirements
- 24 years of age or younger (your 24th birthday must be on or before March 1, 2024)
- If the parent is a military officer-
- Parent must sign up for a paid MOAA membership if the child is selected to receive financial assistance and continue the membership until the child is no longer in the program. While an active membership is not required to submit the application, an active membership is required for the student to receive disbursements.
- If the parent is enlisted military personnel-
- Parent must be on active duty, Reserve, National Guard, or retired. No membership is required. Children of former enlisted personnel are not eligible.
- High school or college GPA must be 3.0 or higher.
- Children attending U.S. military academies and academy prep schools are not eligible.
- High school GPA and relevant test scores
- Parent or guardian information including military affiliation and income
- Extracurricular Activities