Apples are an American favorite. As they say, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” The reason for this saying came because of all the health benefits you can get when you eat apples. Apples contain vitamin C which is an immune booster. They are also really good for your teeth.
You can easily grab an apple for a snack, put one into a lunch box or serve them at your parties. They are a healthy food that are easy to keep around the house. Even my very picky 7-year old loves them.
In addition to eating them, many people also love using apples in their decorations. From pictures of apples to putting artificial apples around the home, there is something really comfortable and warm about apples.
October is National Apple Month! To celebrate National Apple Month, here are some fun facts about this favorite fruit.
- Did you know that there are thousands of different types of apples? From Fuji to Granny Smith to Pink Lady, each one has its own look and taste to it. A whooping 2,500 different types are grown in the United States. But less than 20 varieties comprise 90 percent of apple production in the United States.
- The largest apple ever picked weighed 3 pounds.
- Apple trees take 4 to 5 years to produce their first fruit.
- Apples are members of the rose family.
- It takes 36 apples to make 1 gallon of cider.
- Some types of apples are best for eating; others are better for cooking.
Did you also know that it is possible to grow an apple tree from the seeds of your apple? It can be a fun project to do with your kids.
Do you like to bake or cook with apples? Celebrate National Apple Month with these great apple recipes from MilitaryShoppers readers.
Hot Ginger Apple Cider With Applejack– This would be perfect for a cool fall night!
Baked Apple French Toast– Yum! You can start your mornings with this yummy apple breakfast.
Apple Stuffed Chicken Breast– If you want to include apples into your main meal, you should try this one.
Apple Cream Cheese Coffee Cake– This would be great for a playdate or a get-together with some friends.
There is just something about an apple that makes you want to bake or use it to create a yummy meal! Which recipe do you want to try?