Look, I love summer as much as the next person. But I’m also super busy all year round with work, life and my kids. It’s just that, well, in summer the lines between life, work and kids blurs a whole lot more. Since we’re adding in a PCS this summer, life’s about to get insanely logistically crazy.
Little Ways to Save Your Sanity This Summer
What I’m trying to say is that I’m searching for any little (or big) ways to save my sanity this summer. Since I’m just a bit into research, I’ve deep dived into this and I’m sharing everything I’ve learned with you!
Invest in Child Care
If you don’t have kids, please skip this section or file it away for a time when you do need it.
Got kids? This is for you!
As a busy mom of two under 5 who also works from home, I know the struggle of trying to do it all while also making memories. The reality is that it’s almost impossible to do both perfectly all the time. I also don’t want to stop the fun times for my kids because I’ve got deadlines and projects.
Instead, I’m investing in child care! Here are some options you can try that won’t break the bank:
- Child Care Swaps: find a group of parents that you like and trust, then swap play date duties! Keep the kids at your house for a few hours while the other parents get things done. Then, another parent can take over the next time. It’s free, other than sharing some snacks!
- Parents’ Helper: help a young teen or tween gain babysitting skills this summer! Your kids will love having a fun, older kids to play with. You’ll love getting some work done around the house for less than a normal babysitting rate.
- Busy Bins: setting up an independent play center is ideal for older toddlers and preschoolers! It’s not a babysitter, but having activities that require minimal adult assistance is crucial when you need to take a minute for yourself.
Say Yes to Deliveries
If I can get everything I need without having to drag my children along to a store, then I want in on that service. Right now, we’re living in the golden age of delivery services for literally everything.
This summer, I’ll be getting these types of items delivered:
- Groceries: from in-house options like Peapod to pick-your-store choices like Instacart, it’s almost too easy to not shop in-person anymore. If delivery isn’t your jam, I’m also loving the virtual cart feature many grocery stores are adding. Shop the store from anywhere, pay and schedule pickup when it suits your schedule!
- Meal Kits: if you’re tired of collecting random full size ingredients for a one-off recipe, meal kits are for you! Perfectly portioned ingredients, with just enough for the recipe you’re making. There are options for literally every single diet and taste: vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, Keto, Paleo and even kids!
- Subscription Boxes: getting a regular stock of useful items is way cool. I’m the first to admit that I’m stuck in my ways, so having a subscription box that injects new options into my routines is perfect. From books to fitness gear, snacks to dog toys, there’s a box to fit your interest.
- Household Essentials: skip the mad dash to the store the next time you run out of toilet paper by never running out again! Set up auto-delivery of your household essentials with Amazon Prime or a similar service. We currently use it for diapers, wipes and household cleaners.
Keep Things Tidy
Whether you’re looking to tidy up your yard or your house, outsourcing these tasks can 100% save your sanity over the summer. I know we’ll certainly be investing during this crazy PCS.
- Cleaning Services: from a one-time deep clean to regular service, investing in housecleaning is crucial to keeping things running. Get your new house shipshape after you unpack, deep clean the beach sand out of the nooks and crannies or make sure the bathrooms are always clean. Trust me, it’s worth it!
- Professional Organizer: it’s always a struggle to fit everything we own into each new house. Every floor plan is very different, which makes it hard to build just one system. Instead of fighting it, I’m embracing professional organization services like Modified by Melissa – offered by a military spouse!
- Lawn Care Services: no one likes weeds in the flowers or an unkept lawn. You can invest in a professional, all-inclusive regular service or hire the teen down the street. Either way, weeds you aren’t pulling is worth every penny.
Easy Summer Fun
Ultimately, summer is a time for fun. And there are tons of easy ways, especially for military families, to really enjoy every second of summer vacation!
- Blue Star Museums: coast-to-coast, museums are opening their doors to military families – for free! From children’s museums to botanical gardens, you can find a great place to visit for the day.
- On-Base Pool: when the summer gets hot, it’s time to hop into the pool on-base. Many pools offer toddler splash pad or tiny tot pools as well as places to swim laps or dive.
- Digital Library: grab the latest releases for kids and adults, for free, when you use your branch’s digital library service! Sign up is super simple. Just ask at your local base library.
- Theme Parks Nationwide: many theme parks, like Disney and Sea World, offer discounts or complimentary tickets to military families!
I know that this summer is going to so much simple and way less crazy!